PUBLIC NOTICE OF SPECIAL MEETING
DAVIS CITY COUNCIL AND DAVIS MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY
TUESDAY, FEBRUARY 27, 2018 12:15 P.M.
DAVIS CITY HALL
227 EAST MAIN
1. Call to order Davis City Council and Davis Municipal Authority by Ed Parks.
2. Roll Call: Mayor Ed Parks, here, Vice-Mayor Josh Oakley, here, Councilman Stan Jones, here, Councilman Darryl McCurtain, here.
3. Prayer led by Stan.
4. Pledge of allegiance led by Ed Parks.
5. Discussion and possible action on vacancy for At-Large position of City Council. Oakley stated that he thinks we need to have someone that has an idea of what’s going on to make it easier for everybody concerned. Stan said he was frustrated that there wasn’t any more interested. It’s always the 1-2% of the population that does the work, whether it’s this or church work or school work. It always floors him they don’t get more that’s interested. He did speak with some of the other candidates that have dropped out and the only other one was Brian Davis. He thinks that with this job that if you do have experience, it may help some but it’s not overwhelming job because we have Council and other representatives. He doesn’t see where someone wants to be part of the community and help, why they couldn’t be just an active person and a good person. He doesn’t have any problems with either one of them. Brian Davis asked Oakley what experience he was referring to. Oakley stated that he was leaning more towards Gene and the reason is because Gene has been to some Council Meetings and has a little bit more idea as to what goes on. He has nothing against Brian, he knows that he is an intelligent person; it’s just with his prior experience on being on the Council before, he has knowledge of what procedures we do and that he will understand a little bit more of the way things play out. Brian stated that he was willing to learn everything he needed to. Oakley stated an example of why when they lose a City Manager do they not hire right off the bat. They put an interim in there because they know what’s going on and pick up where it was left off. That’s, in his opinion, the best. Citizen Jerry Harmon spoke in regards of us all being appreciated in those willing to serve on our Council. It’s not really rocket science; you don’t really have to have experience. It might be well if we got someone without experience because they’re not so in grown to changes that we can’t stop. Darryl stated that he knew both of the guys and they are both Davis residents and either have or been in business with Davis, they are both respectful gentlemen and we have a tough decision to make. Ed said he has seen Gene but doesn’t know him very well and he has known Brian for a number of years. He tries to base his off of who is better for the community. He’s like Darryl, they are both qualified and it’s a pretty tough decision. Oakley stated that his was based on the situation we are in now, not necessarily for the next 4 years because we are appointing someone for the next 13-14 months. Darryl asked if it was for the remainder of the term or till next general election. Brandy said remainder of this term. Darryl said it was a tough decision. Both are good candidates. Jones made motion to elect Brian Davis for At-Large position of City Council. Second by Parks. Vote: Jones, yes, McCurtain, no, Oakley, no, Parks, yes. Brandy stated that she did speak to election board prior to meeting and she misinformed you at last meeting with it costing the City $10,000.00, it will only cost three to five thousand dollars. Oakley stated that he was hoping it wouldn’t come to this, but we will let the citizen’s vote who they want. McCurtain asked if he could make another motion. Mayor Parks said he didn’t know what the rules are on that. Brandy went next door to get Attorney Melton. He came and stated that yes he could make another motion as long as it was on the same line item. McCurtain made motion to elect Gene Elliott. Second by Oakley. Vote: Jones, no, McCurtain, yes, Oakley, yes, Parks, no. Gene Elliott stood and said he would withdraw for the betterment of the City. McCurtain made motion to appoint Brian. Second by Oakley. Vote: Jones, yes, McCurtain, yes, Oakley, yes, Parks, yes.
6. New Business: Discussion and possible action concerning any matter not known which could not have been foreseen prior to the posting of this agenda. Brandy said OMAG is wanting to come and give a presentation on some do’s and don’ts in Municipal government and also conducting some legal things and such, in which will take about an hour so they were wanting to see if we could do it an hour before next Council in March. By allowing them to do this, our City will receive a $6,000.00 reimbursement. McCurtain made motion to have it at 6:00. Second by Jones. Vote: Jones, yes, McCurtain, yes, Oakley, yes, Parks, yes.
7. Adjourn. Motion made by Jones to adjourn. Second by Oakley. Vote: Jones, yes, McCurtain, yes, Oakley, yes, Parks, yes.
Cheryl Merrell, City Clerk Ed Parks, Mayor