PUBLIC NOTICE OF PUBLIC HEARING
DAVIS CITY COUNCIL AND DAVIS MUNICIPAL AUTHORITY
MONDAY JUNE 12, 2017 6:00 P.M.
DAVIS CITY HALL
227 EAST MAIN
1. Call to order Davis City Council and the Davis Municipal Authority by Ed Parks.
2. Roll Call: Mayor Ed Parks, here, Vice-Mayor Josh Oakley, here, Councilman Stan Jones, here, Councilman Darryl McCurtain, absent, Councilman Brett Knight, here.
3. Prayer led by Stan Jones.
4. Pledge of Allegiance led by Ed.
5. Open public hearing for FY 2017-2018 budgets for the City of Davis, Davis Municipal Authority, Turner Falls, and other funds. Councilman Darryl McCurtain came in at 6:30. Tom stated that this part of the meeting is for the public to inquire anything about the budget at this time may ask questions. It’s pretty straight forward. The new budget has basically salaries that are pretty close the same; there will be about a 25% increase in the Insurance Premiums starting in January so that was put into the new figures. Once we get the budget out of the way, we are going to start looking at different insurances to find a better rate. I know Sulphur is only taking an 18% increase. The other major things are we are budgeting money out of the Contingency Fund. This is what they are telling us we have to do, any fund that the City has, has to be budgeted. That doesn’t mean we have to spend it. One of the problems we are having is we have had several unbudgeted projects this year. Things that we have done that were not in the budget. We are going to try to live within our means this year and only get the things that are in the budget. All the department heads were told this and so when they help create their budget, they anticipate these expenditures. One thing that we are going to have to start looking at in the future is utility increases. Water department we showed trash is breaking even, we are making a profit however; we operate the convenience site that people take their trash to. We don’t charge for that but SORD charges us. The profit that we are making in trash, we’re using up at the convenience site. Water Department is making a profit but the sewer department is not. The fee is based on a percentage of your water usage. Sewer rate is based on your water usage. Arbuckle Master has gone up on their fees as well. Stan brought up about the phone expenses. Tom stated that we have bundled and is getting the best we can. Computing Edge is contracted with us that give us phone service, cable service, and computer service in case any of these go down, they will replace it. We also changed things in budget regarding employees. They are charged out of their own department. Stan asked about the contract service going up. Tom stated that is with Rheba’s office, our consultants. They are paid out of that fee. They are kind of like our CPA’s that keep us out of trouble. They still reconcile for us and signed a contract with us to do our pre-audit. They get everything ready for our auditors. Sometimes we have to call us to ask a question or help with our system and they charge us for every call or service when they have to come up here. They do all our training as well. Josh Oakley asked if in the future if we could get the headlines on the top of every page or number the pages. Brandy stated that she did try to get headlines on them but she can number them. Brandy stated that on our vehicle insurance, they just budgeted $100.00 but this new budget, she got the figures that we paid last year and put an actual budget number in the budget. Tom stated that some of the other major projects that are in this budget but probably won’t happen this year are the 3rd street project. We have a half a million dollars set aside to do it. We just finished up doing 12 blocks of oil and chip in town and we have funding from additional 20 in the next year’s budget. This will still leave us with around $196,000.00. The side walk project have been designed and approved and cost estimates have come in. The City’s cost and their 20% is $86,991.00. Tom did ask if we could use Street Maintenance to help cover this but they will have to get back with him. They are waiting for a signature of approval and we will get a bill for $36,000.00. The state has agreed to fix Main Street if we do the sidewalks from 3rd & Main to 12th Street in which it will cost them 1.6 million dollars. It’s being engineered the same time the sidewalks are. Oakley asked about the Street Lighting. Tom stated that that is the lights on Main Street and at Fullerton Park.
6. Close Public Hearing. Motion made by Jones to close. Second by Knight. Vote: Jones, yes, McCurtain, yes, Knight, yes, Oakley, yes, Parks, yes.
7. Adjourn. Motion made by Jones to adjourn. Second by Knight. Vote: Jones, yes, McCurtain, yes, Knight, yes, Oakley, yes, Parks, yes.